Skip to main content

COMMON SYMPTOMS OF THE PERIMENOPAUSE.


Common Signs of the Perimenopause!

Perimenopause was a word that terrified me. It meant I was getting old, wouldn't have any more children and would fade away into unsexy oblivion! The thing is I didn't want any more children, the two I have are beyond awesome. I don't feel old and my husband still fancies me - so what was the problem?
For a start I did not understand what perimenopause meant! Also because I only feel seventeen inside, I couldn't possibly be old enough to be lurching forward to the menopause! I was too embarrassed to admit it and would find excuses to explain hot flushes etc! What a fool!

I have heard other  friends make excuses or be terrified by a symptom. I realised I was not alone and so have put together a list of the most common perimenopause symptoms. Check through it and reassure yourself…...or....if you want to view the video chat click here and enjoy the chat!

Signs of the perimenopause

1.Changes in your period
They may become lighter or heavier or you may miss the odd one. It is very common to experience super heavy periods which feel grim and can flood. Fear not, this does pass! I had one that was  so awful and painful , like full labour, and I ended up in A and E. Luckily they were so kind and explained that I was having contractions! Many women will be lucky and experience lighter periods so it's not all doom and gloom. You may start to skip the odd or a few periods. You must continue to use contraception as you never know when you will ovulate.

2. Fibroids may worsen
If you have fibroids they may worsen during perimeno’. If you are experiencing this, it is worth visiting your GP as they have various options that could offer you relief.


3.Vagnal Dryness.
Deep Joy! (or maybe not!). The drop in estrogen can result in the walls of the vagina thinning. This can make sex uncomfortable. Luckily buying lube these days is as normal as buying loo roll so you can pop into any chemist, supermarket or high street adult store and choose from myriad varieties. It is also possible to get surgery to thicken the vaginal walls and be as fresh as Lolita! If you would rather order online this company is very reliable and discrete. (I am not linked to them!)

4. Sleep Problems
The bane of my life! I am sick to death of sleepless nights. Disturbed sleep can be caused through night sweats or just the changes in hormones.
Profound..by Tyler Knott Gregson
It is exhausting but there are some things we can try such as having a bedtime routine, giving ourselves plenty of time to fall asleep, sipping chamomile tea before bed, switching off our phones, (easier said than done!), and banning electronic items at least half an hour before bedtime.

5.Mood Changes
Hardly surprising really! We are often exhausted, frustrated and our hormones are doing strange but natural things. Women who have severe PMS will probably have more severe mood swings during perimeno’.

I love this super short poem by Sue Nash (2016) called Give and Take  
"Menopause hits you hard with vigour, and you slap others near who trigger."

6. Forgetfulness
This frightened me at first. I made half hearted jokes about Alzheimer's whilst secretly thinking I had it. Forgetfulness should come as no huge surprise when we are so tired. My most awful forgetful moment was forgetting to collect my son from the airport when he was only 15. (ouch), losing passports and forgetting what I was saying half way through a sentence!

7. Bone Loss
As we age we lose bone mass and this can lead to osteoporosis.

It seems that women are more prone to this than men. We can help ourselves by watching our weight, taking calcium and vitamin D supplements and taking regular exercise to include walking and lifting weights.

8. Hot Flushes
One minute you are comfortable the next a raging inferno is ripping up your torso and you can fell quite faint from the heat. I have a video and blog coming out next Monday talking about how to deal with hot flushes. Check here for updates.

So there you have it  - the most common symptoms of perimenopause. This is not an exhaustive list. Some many women experience more headaches or achy bones.

I hope I have been able to put your mind at ease. You are not over the hill if you are perimenopausal. It is just a natural stage of life. If you ever feel worried about a symptom then absolutely make an appointment to see your GP.

How are you coping with this stage in your life? Have you found any great ways to ease your journey? If you have please do share the love so we women can all help each other.

Look after yourselves,
Namaste,
Janie S xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOOKING AFTER 0VER 50s SUMMER HAIR! sTAY GLOSSY NOT FLOSSY!

Hey! How are you today? More to the point how's your hair?! mine has certainly been suffering form the lovely sunshine we have been having. I turn into Monica Geller in Barbados which to be fair isn't my best look! Today's blog is all about keeping those locks of ours glossy and not flossy . Don't worry you don't to go through any so called "hair rituals" or anything. Its more about choosing the right products for the job and being savvy about looking after your mane!! TOP TIPS! 1 . We know to slather ourselves in UV protection to save our skin but how often do we remember that our hair also needs UV protection? Ever burnt your parting line?  You may have found out it can burn quickly and be rather painful. Now clearly we cant go to Aldi or the cinema, or wherever, with our hair greased up with suntan lotion. Fear not though, there are plenty of products on the market that can help.  Try: Solait Head and Hair Protect SPF30. Its really affordable

BEST 5 FITNESS VLOGGERS FOR WOMEN OVER 50, CRASH DIETS AND "DIRE" CONSEQUENCES!

Hey! Pic borrowed but can't find owner! Sorry I have been a little quiet of late. I've had no energy! Seriously! Body has been exhausted and brain full of fog and this time I cant blame the menopause! I t's all my own fault to be honest . Before I tell you my Top 5 YT Fitness Vloggers, there needs to be a little context! In my infinite wisdom I decided to do a crash diet. Now before you gasp and clasp your pearls there's a good reason! I watched a documentary on TV about how crash diets had modernised and were a great way to kickstart weight loss and get super healthy, super quick. Tests showed that people rid themselves of type 2 diabetes etc in just a couple of weeks. Now I don't have any of those issues thankfully, but, I am Mrs Impatient, so I thought it would be a great idea.....you know, safely kickstart some weight loss and get motivated! Well, let me tell you, I have never felt so awful in my life! The programme recommended meal replacements follow