Skip to main content

HOW TO PICK FASHION COLOURS AS WE GET OLDER!

Well hello there!

OMG how stunning is the weather right now? I have to confess to being an absolute lover of the heat and am even planning a hot destination for the Christmas break because I really don't like being cold!
I hope you are all coping and managing to sleep through the hot nights.

Whether we like it or not we are what fashionistas might refer to as "older women".  Unfortunately, many older women get stuck in style ruts and are still wearing what they wore ten or fifteen years ago, or dare I say it, sometimes form the 80s! Now this is fine of you are happy doing that but in truth what we used to wear doesn't really work as we go through the decades!. For example, our skin tone changes subtly as does our hair colour. Colours that used to work for us almost certainly don't know. A case in point being that I could wear quite acidic colours in my 40s, now they make look like the undertaker has been making me up! 

Our choice of clothes reflect who we are. They make statements about us. One simple way of wearing what you want but looking and feeling our best is to think about the colours we choose. I'm not talking about going to a colour professional, I am talking doing this for yourself!

How Do We Go About It?
1. Break out of your normal clothes buying habits! You know the thing, we go to the same store and keep coming out bags full of similar stuff to that we have bought before. Try going to a completely different store and walk in with an open mind.. See the clothes with fresh eyes. What colours are you drawn to? What is on the hangers that you've never tried before? 
At this stage try this in a few different new stores. Don't get the credit card out yet. Right now you are just getting the idea of going elsewhere and thinking about what you like.

2. Why not try something different? Pinks are everywhere this season. If you have blonde or grey hair and your skin is naturally fair you can wear ivories, pale pinks  and variations of lavender and stunning periwinkle shades. Choosing this will really brighten your face.
Reiss
For dark skins go for autumnal hues. To really freshen up go for beautiful turquoises, poppy reds, darkest royal blues and rich earthy tones. You can wear these colours all year around.
Reiss
If your are dark haired but fair skinned avoid the autumnals and go for lovely deep navy, reds of the garnet variety and bright bold pinks. 
Pinterest
3. Is it time to update your wardrobe? Is it time to look at getting more up to date cuts and styles? Yes? why not start to empty your wardrobe, send what doesn't work for you any more to the local charity shop and start again?. You don't need to spend a fortune. it's about getting the basics right. Make sure your choose the latest basic shades that designers are working with. Old shades of neutrals will look really old fashioned and make us look older. Your basics want to come from the blacks, whites and neutrals, but, buy a couple of fashion magazines to see the latest shades and flattering cuts. Also remember to choose textures that are soft as they tend to be far more flattering on our "experienced" bodies!

4. Look at your face. what is your best feature? For me I think it's my bright blue eyes. Have you chosen yours yet? It might be your creamy skin or luscious ruby lips. What ever it is, when you try out different colours on yourself hold them up to your chest. Look at your fave feature....does the colour make that area pop and become noticeable? Yes? it's the colour for you. No? quick, hand it back to the shop assistant PDQ and try something different. To put it bluntly, if a colour makes your face look grey and flat avoid it like the plague!

5. Don't go crazy! There's no need to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe. Try perhaps a new top and a couple of accessories. A pair of shoes or a great bag in "your colours" is a good start. it will allow you to see how comfortable you feel with them. Maybe just buy a new bracelet or earrings.
Lulu Guinness
Next

Don't buy harsh colours or really washed out colours. It wont look good!

6. Don't worry about rules. Just because it's winter doesn't mean you can't wear a light pink shirt if it works for you. Similarly, this summer there are some gorgeous autumnal colours around and they work through all seasons. All women can wear any colour as long as they get the shade right! So we can all wear red but its a case of whether an orangey or bluey red works for us. 

Try lots of shades. Don't be shy. You will find some real disastrous colours but equally you will also find just the right ones for you that will enable you to make the very best of your features and figure.

Next week I will be writing about choosing the right necklines for our body shape.

I would love to hear how you get on. Try taking some sneaky pics in the changing rooms to share with us all. 

If you want to join a growing, private group of women over 50 who chat, laugh and support each other just click here to join us! We look forward to meeting you!

Don't forget to check out the Savvy 'n' Sassy website for more blog articles and vlogs!
Refuse to be invisible!

Wishing yo all a fabulous week in the sunshine.
Namaste
Janie S xxx
Founder www.savvynsassy.net




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOOKING AFTER 0VER 50s SUMMER HAIR! sTAY GLOSSY NOT FLOSSY!

Hey! How are you today? More to the point how's your hair?! mine has certainly been suffering form the lovely sunshine we have been having. I turn into Monica Geller in Barbados which to be fair isn't my best look! Today's blog is all about keeping those locks of ours glossy and not flossy . Don't worry you don't to go through any so called "hair rituals" or anything. Its more about choosing the right products for the job and being savvy about looking after your mane!! TOP TIPS! 1 . We know to slather ourselves in UV protection to save our skin but how often do we remember that our hair also needs UV protection? Ever burnt your parting line?  You may have found out it can burn quickly and be rather painful. Now clearly we cant go to Aldi or the cinema, or wherever, with our hair greased up with suntan lotion. Fear not though, there are plenty of products on the market that can help.  Try: Solait Head and Hair Protect SPF30. Its really affordable

BEST 5 FITNESS VLOGGERS FOR WOMEN OVER 50, CRASH DIETS AND "DIRE" CONSEQUENCES!

Hey! Pic borrowed but can't find owner! Sorry I have been a little quiet of late. I've had no energy! Seriously! Body has been exhausted and brain full of fog and this time I cant blame the menopause! I t's all my own fault to be honest . Before I tell you my Top 5 YT Fitness Vloggers, there needs to be a little context! In my infinite wisdom I decided to do a crash diet. Now before you gasp and clasp your pearls there's a good reason! I watched a documentary on TV about how crash diets had modernised and were a great way to kickstart weight loss and get super healthy, super quick. Tests showed that people rid themselves of type 2 diabetes etc in just a couple of weeks. Now I don't have any of those issues thankfully, but, I am Mrs Impatient, so I thought it would be a great idea.....you know, safely kickstart some weight loss and get motivated! Well, let me tell you, I have never felt so awful in my life! The programme recommended meal replacements follow

COMMON SYMPTOMS OF THE PERIMENOPAUSE.

Common Signs of the Perimenopause! Perimenopause was a word that terrified me. It meant I was getting old, wouldn't have any more children and would fade away into unsexy oblivion! The thing is I didn't want any more children, the two I have are beyond awesome. I don't feel old and my husband still fancies me - so what was the problem? For a start I did not understand what perimenopause meant! Also because I only feel seventeen inside, I couldn't possibly be old enough to be lurching forward to the menopause! I was too embarrassed to admit it and would find excuses to explain hot flushes etc! What a fool! I have heard other  friends make excuses or be terrified by a symptom. I realised I was not alone and so have put together a list of the most common perimenopause symptoms. Check through it and reassure yourself…...or....if you want to view the video chat  click here and enjoy the chat! Signs of the perimenopause 1.Changes in your period They may be