Skip to main content

SAVV BLOGMAS 8/12/17 THE LEGEND OF POINSETTIA AT CHRISTMAS!

Helloooooooo and Savvy Blogmas
Today is a lovely tale of the legend of the poinsettia at Christmas!


Yesterday I spent a lovely hour or so wandering around a gorgeous garden centre in Surrey looking at all the Christmas decorations, trees and Christmas plants. The one thing that stood out was the dozens and dozens of bright red poinsettia in pretty pots complete with red ribbon garland for sale.
I sometimes get one in at Christmas but have never really known why we see Poinsettia as a Christmas plant! 
I put my detective hat on and solved the question! At the same time I have found out how to look after them in case you too are the kiss of death to plants in the home!


The Poinsettia (poyn - set -ee - ah), is a native Mexican plant. It is a species of the romantically named "spurge" family!
Joel Poinsett by Arthur Ide.
Almost two hundred years ago it was introduced to the USA by the then US Minister to Mexico who happened to be called Joel Poinsett! See where this is going?


The plant however became associated with Christmas at least three hundred years before this, back in Mexico. Remember how the shepherds were poor and couldn't give grand gifts to the new born Jesus? Well, similarly a young girl in Mexico called Maria  or sometimes Pepita, couldn't afford to leave a gift at her local church door to celebrate Christmas.
As she pondered her situation an angel told her to collect some weeds from the roadside and plant them by the church door. She did and from these weeds a beautiful crimson leaved Poinsettia grew. This miracle saw the plant being named Flores de Noche Buena, Flowers of the Holy Night. After this Monks, (Franciscan), in Mexico began using the plant in their Christmas celebrations. If you look at the plant it is not difficult to see how it came to play such an important part of Christmas. The shape of the leaves resemble the Star of Bethlehem and the crimson leaves are seen as the blood of Christ.

Are Poinsettia poison?
They are not dangerous to have in the home. Back in 1919 it was reported that a young child had died through eating a Poinsettia leaf. This spread panic and created a misconception. A child weighing 50lbs would need to eat 500 leaves to have any reaction. (American Journal of Toxic Medicine).
The Aztecs used the red dye of the leaves as an anti pyretic, (fever reducer), and Ohio State University found that even extremely large doses of this plant would not cause terrible problems. So, rest assured, you are safe to have these in the house with children around.
If your pet ingests the plant, whether it be white or red varieties they may drool a bit or have a slight touch of diahorea but they are very rarely severe symptoms

Looking after your Poinsettia
Here is a really useful link to help you get the best out of your plant for as long as possible!
Poinsettia Care Advice!

December 12th is National Poinsettia Day so go grab one and enjoy it's magical history and stunning colours in your home this Christmas!

You might also like to read Christmas is for giving!

Have a wonderful day!
Namaste
Janie S xxx
Founder www.savvynsassy.net

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BEST 5 FITNESS VLOGGERS FOR WOMEN OVER 50, CRASH DIETS AND "DIRE" CONSEQUENCES!

Hey! Pic borrowed but can't find owner! Sorry I have been a little quiet of late. I've had no energy! Seriously! Body has been exhausted and brain full of fog and this time I cant blame the menopause! I t's all my own fault to be honest . Before I tell you my Top 5 YT Fitness Vloggers, there needs to be a little context! In my infinite wisdom I decided to do a crash diet. Now before you gasp and clasp your pearls there's a good reason! I watched a documentary on TV about how crash diets had modernised and were a great way to kickstart weight loss and get super healthy, super quick. Tests showed that people rid themselves of type 2 diabetes etc in just a couple of weeks. Now I don't have any of those issues thankfully, but, I am Mrs Impatient, so I thought it would be a great idea.....you know, safely kickstart some weight loss and get motivated! Well, let me tell you, I have never felt so awful in my life! The programme recommended meal replacements follow

Derma Rolling- quick and simple tutorial!

Hey there all you  Savvy 'n' Sassy peeps! Derma rolling is said to be the best collagen boosting treatment you can do for yourself at home! I have created a quick and simple video tutorial for you today so you can find out more about it and decide if it is for you! I have to say that I find the needles rolling over my skin quite therapeutic! Am I weird?! I hope you love the vid and if you do please can you hit like and subscribe ! I am going to be your Guinea Pig and see if it works on my upper lip lines! I will report back once a month with photos and feedback! First photo will be on the blog tomorrow along with how it looks after rolling!!!!! I really hope that this is going to work! Visit the website and subscribe to be the first to find out about the upcoming competition where you can win a derma roller of your own! Look after yourselves and refuse to be invisible! Namaste Janie S xxx

Anti Age Your Makeup! My Top 13 Tips To Look More youthful!

Hey there!  How are you all today? Hopefully really well and are making the most of the over 50 life! Never forget our mantra - refuse to be invisible! Today's blog is about avoiding makeup mistakes that can you make look old and old fashioned ! avoiding anti-anti-ageing makeup mistakes! No doubt you have read in numerous magazines that you need to keep makeup updated to stay looking fresh and youthful. Sadly, too many women are still rocking, (or not), the look they wore when they were eighteen. It just doesn’t work! If you don't believe me, dig out a photo of you when you were 18. (Post it in the comments section if you want to share!). Now be honest do you want to replicate that look right now? To avoid making ourselves look older we need to take heed of a few make-up artist tips………... 1.        Do not overpluck your eyebrows. Thin brows make us look hard which in turn is ageing. A lovely full shaped brow is the answer for a youthful look. I find